Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dara Torres: Not Slowing Down for Age or Arthritis

Watching her zip across a pool, you’d never know Dara Torres has arthritis. In this Lifescript exclusive, the 45-year-old swimming champion opens up about surgeries, her secrets to staying in shape and the possibility of an unprecedented sixth attempt at Olympic glory... At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Dara Torres captured three silver medals and proved that age is no obstacle to athleticism. Nor was osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that affects nearly 27 million people in the U.S. She swam through the pain in her right shoulder, her first sign of the disease. After returning to the U.S., she underwent arthroscopic surgery, a minimally invasive procedure to repair joint damage in that area. But her shoulder was just the start. Next, she faced potentially career-ending deterioration in her left knee. To repair that, Torres underwent a more radical procedure to reconstruct the joint, using biotechnological advances to grow new cartilage. The toughest part for this hard-driving five-time Olympic swimmer? Taking things slow during a year-long recovery. She used the time to write her second book, Gold Medal Fitness: A Revolutionary Five-Week Program (Crown Archetype). Lifescript caught up with Torres, mom to a 6-year-old daughter, Tessa. Read on for her tips on staying fit as you age, coping with arthritis and maintaining a winning attitude. How did the surgery help your shoulder? The arthroscopic surgical procedure shaved down the ends of the bone and removed calcification caused by arthritis. How about your knee? The arthritis in my knee was from overuse. In addition to swimming, I’m a runner, and over the years the combination of exercise and age led to cartilage degeneration. How was that treated? I had reconstructive surgery in 2009 because I was having a lot of pain – it was hard just to walk around the house or play with my daughter. The procedure I had, autologous chondrocyte implantation, replaced cartilage in my knee, since I had little left. How are you doing now? I’m not limping anymore! I feel good. I’m still in physical rehab, but my knee feels better every day. Does your age make it harder to stay in shape? I just turned 45, and I’m in the best shape of my life – fitter than I was in my 20s and definitely more flexible. On the other hand, I need to listen to my body as I get older. It takes me longer to recover between workouts. What should women know about growing older? Age shouldn’t be the defining factor in your life. But with it comes wisdom and experience. I’m a much better person, athlete and mother today than I would have been at 30. It’s possible to achieve your dreams at any age if you really believe in yourself and have perseverance. Is that what motivated you to write your first book? I wrote Age Is Just a Number [Broadway Books] about my decision to compete in the 2008 Olympics after retiring from swimming. It had been eight years since my last Olympics and I was returning at age 41, 15 months after giving birth to my daughter, and I was competing against athletes half my age. What inspired you to write your book, Gold Medal Fitness? It was in response to all the questions I received after the Olympics. People wanted to know how I got back in shape at my age, what my diet was like and the exercises I did. Gold Medal Fitness combines a nutrition plan with Ki-Hara resistance stretching and strengthening exercises. What’s Ki-Hara? It’s a resistance stretching method designed to make you feel balanced, targeting areas of the body that you’re aware need stretching as well as those that you may not notice. The result is a feeling of being fully stretched and loose. I discovered Ki-Hara about 10 years ago when I realized I needed more flexibility. It changed the way I move – in and out of the water. It’s also helped combat some of my knee pain. Do you follow a special diet? Rather than eat three square meals, I have several small meals throughout the day with a balance of protein, fat and high-fiber carbohydrates. Do you have any food vices? I battled bulimia years ago and never want to go back to that dark place. If I crave something, I allow myself to enjoy it in moderation. I try to eat healthy and find a balance, rather than depriving myself of foods I love. I have a sweet tooth and like to have a small dessert after dinner, like a Fudgsicle or a Skinny Cow ice cream bar My weakness right now is homemade Rice Krispies Treats made without butter. I take a pan and spray it with Pam cooking spray, throw in marshmallows and microwave until melted. Then I add Rice Krispies cereal. They taste just like the ones you buy. Do you ever have trouble getting motivated to work out? Sure, I’m like everyone else. So I try to set short-term goals to help me stay motivated. I also really like the way I feel after a workout. What’s a typical training day like for you? I have breakfast with my daughter, take her to school, then spend two hours in the pool. I also do about 1 to 1-1/2 hours of strength and resistance-training exercises. Then I have lunch, do some stretching and pick up Tessa from school. I’m like any other working parent who tries to find a good balance between work and family time. Do you see swimming as a job? I still love to swim. I also loved running, but haven’t done much of it since I started having knee problems. Do you have any down time? Not really. I’m always on the go, either training or spending time with my daughter. My only down time is when I’m sleeping. My “me time” is spent in the water – I feel a real connection with it. When did you first start swimming? I grew up in Los Angeles and had four older brothers who loved to swim. I always wanted to do everything they did, so I started swimming at an early age and swimming competitively at age 8. Will you be competing at the 2012 London games? If it's not too tough on my body and I do well, I [will] compete there. [I’m going] for it one more time. Do you see Tessa following in your footsteps? She likes swimming, but she’s also very active in soccer, tennis and gymnastics. I try to keep her busy, because I don’t want her to spend a lot of time just sitting at home and watching TV. She can choose whatever she wants to do when she gets older, and I’ll support her decision. Symptoms of Arthritis If you suspect you have osteoarthritis, consult your doctor. Common symptoms include: Pain in the joint Most commonly affected joints are those of the knee, hip, hand or spine Pain usually increased when the joint is used or stressed Pain is usually decreased by resting the joint May be described as a dull, achy pain or a sharper, stabbing sensation Stiffness Stiffness can make everyday activities difficult, such as leaning down to pick something up, putting on shoes, opening a jar, walking or climbing stairs Stiffness occuring first thing in the morning is common, usually lasting under 30 minutes after you resume activity Stiffness after any period of inactivity is common (such as after sitting still for a couple of hours in a movie theater or on an airplane) Stiffness decreases your range of motion, so that you can't bend or unbend a joint as far as you normally could.

No comments:

Post a Comment