Sunday, May 20, 2012

How Actress Charlotte Rae Survived Pancreatic Cancer Television’s Mrs. Garrett Tells How She Beat the Odds

Few people survive for long after finding out they have cancer of the pancreas, but Charlotte Rae is one of the lucky ones. The 86-year-old actress, best known as Mrs. Garrett on “The Facts of Life,” describes how faith and excellent doctors got her through it... When actress Charlotte Rae learned she had pancreatic cancer, her prognosis seemed dire. Only 20% of patients survive a year after diagnosis, and 4% make it five years, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS). Cancer of the pancreas has few or no early symptoms, making diagnosis difficult. In most cases, by the time it’s discovered, the tumors have spread beyond the pancreas to the lymph nodes or other organs, making surgery to remove the malignancy nearly impossible. Of the 20%-25% of cases in which the tumor can be removed – known as resection of the pancreas – the pancreatic cancer survival rate is still only 18-20 months, according to the ACS. Yet some people beat those long odds. Rae, a Broadway and TV veteran known for the long-running sitcom “The Facts of Life,” is one of them. How did she manage that? “It’s a miracle,” Rae says. In this exclusive Lifescript interview, the 86-year-old actress details what led to her cancer diagnosis and surgery, and how she was eventually declared cancer-free. Your fans had no idea about your story of pancreatic cancer survival. What made you come forward now? I’m very eager to tell people that I’m a survivor of pancreatic cancer, thanks to the doctors – Dr. [Howard] Reber, Dr. [William] Isacoff – and to you-know-who up there. [She blows a kiss heavenward]. What led you to be checked for cancer of the pancreas in the first place? The thing is it’s a miracle – or fate – God – working in my life. My mother, older sister and uncle all died of pancreatic cancer. So years ago, I had an endoscopic ultrasound – that’s when they put the little camera down right into your pancreas. They found nothing. How did you discover the cancer? Flash forward – years went by – and I got a call from Milwaukee, my hometown. I’m kind of a celebrity there. They asked me to come and talk about my family history and urge people to get that endoscopic ultrasound test. I said I’d like to bring my younger sister to come and be tested too. Did your sister go? Yes, they flew her in and we were tested. My sister was clean, and they said I had a cyst ... a little [one], 4 millimeters. I said, “Take it out. Take it out.” They said, “Well, we don’t think it’s anything much.” I said, “Well, check it out and see if it’s cancer.” They went back and did the test again, and said, “It’s benign.” You weren’t satisfied with that diagnosis? No. They said, “In six months, check it out in California,” and they gave me a name of a doctor. I didn’t like the doctor six months later, so I postponed it, which I shouldn’t have done. It was exactly a year [later when] I went back to Milwaukee [for another test], and guess what? It was full-blown cancer. If they hadn’t invited me to begin with, I probably wouldn’t have detected it in time. How did you find your [current] doctor? I did some investigating through PanCan [Pancreatic Cancer Action Network], which is a wonderful organization. They gave me the names of surgeons. They didn’t recommend [any of them]. They just said, “These people have done a lot of pancreatic surgery.” What made Dr. Howard Reber stand out for you? My gastroenterologist from UCLA said, “You’ve got to do it with Dr. Reber. If you were a member of my family, I’d insist on it.” So, my son Larry and I went and met with him. I knew this is where I was led to... and it was right. How frightened were you when you heard you had cancer of the pancreas? It’s an unreal feeling. The reality doesn’t totally get absorbed. I knew a very famous opera singer who was a survivor of pancreatic cancer. She told her story with pancreatic cancer – and so, after I was diagnosed, I called her immediately because I had already told her about my family history. She was very supportive. How was she supportive? When I went to Dr. Reber to have the surgery, I called her, and she said, “How are you feeling?” I told her, “I’m scared sh--less.” And she said, “So was I. You poor darling, why don’t you go to the hypnotherapist that I went to?” Did you go see her? Yes. Her name is Cheryl O’Neil, [and she has an] office in Beverly Hills. She’s very modest in her fee. She was very spiritual and gave me wonderful imagery, so that when I went for the surgery, I was ready. What else did you do to prepare for the surgery? Another friend said, “Be sure to say hello to the [main] anesthesiologist.” I agreed because I’m quite old [then 84], and I wanted him to see me eye-to-eye – not just lying there as a piece of meat on the operating table. I wanted to connect with him and tell him all of my health problems. How did the surgery go? When I went under, I had this wonderful image of the warm sun... the sun’s rays just putting their arms around me, along with the power of healing. I sailed through the surgery, thanks to Dr. Reber, who was the instrument... and my higher power. I woke up and there were the two anesthesiologists. I said, “I’m alive!” Then it was onward and upward after that. How long ago was that? The surgery was Aug. 14th, 2010. What were your post-surgery treatments? I went to an oncologist, Dr. William Isacoff. And on my birthday, a year ago last April 22nd, I had my last chemotherapy treatment. How often did you receive chemotherapy for cancer of the pancreas? I had been going every two months, and then every four months. Did you alter your eating habits after the surgery? The first thing I did was to ask the oncologist for a nutritionist. I found out that dairy products are out, so now I use almond milk. Cancer cells love sugar – they really do – so I cut out all of that stuff. Even certain fruits have a lot of sugar in them. Blackberries and strawberries are very good. What’s a typical breakfast for you now? For example, today I had All-Bran with almond milk, three prunes, blackberries and a tangerine. Sometimes I have oatmeal. I love sugar. I love goodies, pastries and stuff like that. But I put almonds and Brazil nuts on my kitchen table to snack on. They’re both healthy for you raw. It sounds like you eat much healthier now. Yes, but I do dovetail into a little goodie here and there. What gave you the courage to go public with your cancer of the pancreas? First, I’m in good health, so I can work – I don’t have to keep it a secret. And second, if I can give anyone some courage and a feeling that everything can be all right, that’s what I have to do. I’m a survivor one day at a time, and I have to pass it on. Did you have any second thoughts about going public? No. Look, so many people have died of pancreatic cancer... celebrities too. It’s so nice to be able to say, “I’m not dying. Not of this. I’m going to die eventually, but so far, so good. I’m OK and I wanted to pass this [knowledge] on to you.” I know that attitude is important too. If you’re stressed out, it’s not good. A day doesn’t go by that I’m not grateful, and I want to be of service to everybody. What advice do you have for others? [Get tested and] find out what you can. The only test that I know of, from my experience – and I’m not an expert – is the endoscopic ultrasound. I don’t know if you can get it with your health plan or with Medicare today. My prayer is that someday everyone, whether they have a family history or not, can have it in their health insurance [plan] to get tested every year for this dreadful, terrifying disease. For more information and expert advice, visit Lifescript's Cancer Health Center. What Really Causes Cancer? Myths vs. Facts Cell phones, makeup, bug spray, and even fresh produce all have been rumored to cause cancer. But should you believe every cancer myth you hear? When it comes to protecting yourself from cancer, you need to separate fact from fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment