Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Psychology of Self-Deception

The human mind gives us enormous advantages, but it also creates some interesting problems. I’d like to talk about one of those issues called the psychology of self-deception. It’s at play in all areas of our lives, but it’s also prominent in weight loss and dieting, particularly with food cravings.

If you want to lose weight, you simply must learn to address and master cravings. When battling a craving for cake, for example, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say, “I just kept telling myself that I didn’t want that cake.” It’s a great example of the psychology of self-deception. Telling yourself that you don’t want something that you know you want is a big mistake. It’s healthier and moves you much further down the weight-loss road if you own up to the want and take responsibility another way. You’d be better served if you said something like, “Yes, I do want that piece of cake, but I’m not going to have it because my health is more important.” That’s taking personal control and helps you avoid self-deception. At the end of the day, honesty really is the best policy!

Wishing You Great Health,
Dr. John H. Sklare
www.innerdiet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment