Saturday, October 30, 2010

Q&A - How Do I Deal With Narcissistic People?

Q: I’ve been dealing with many narcissistic people lately. Once I see how self-involved they are, I walk away. How can I get along with them?

-Paula Z.

A: Hi Paula,

Welcome to the new world! With so many “ME”-oriented technologies these days – like Twitter, YouTube and Facebook – there’s a tremendous push toward self-involvement. Narcissism comes in two forms: The first is where the person is full of self-admiration and self-centeredness. The second is a psychiatric personality disorder in which the narcissistic behavior is more extreme and the person shows an excessive need to be admired.

So how do you deal with a narcissist? It depends on which of the above definitions best describes the person’s behavior. Unless the people you’re referring to are family, clients or co-workers, I don’t think that avoiding them is a bad idea at all. We’re all better off if we minimize or eliminate the amount of contact we have with unhealthy, inconsiderate or toxic personalities.

Wishing You Great Health,
Dr. John H. Sklare
www.innerdiet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment